HAL-PC Board of Directors
Houston Area League of PC Users
Board of Directors
Minutes for Meeting to be held Thursday, May 24, 2012, at HAL-PC Headquarters, SIG Room A
Annette Story, President
Open First Vice President
John Furby, Vice President Programs
Christian Hanlon, Vice President Communications
Erika Hanlon, Recording Secretary
Open Membership Secretary
Jerald Linsley, Treasurer (absent)
Rick Archibald, Executive Committee
Bernard Silverman, Executive Committee
Greg Brewer, Director
Bill Budell, Director (absent)
Marco Ferrufino, Director (absent)
Meredith Foster, Director (absent)
Jay Kraker, Director (absent)
Jim Lavis, Director
John Molson, Director (absent)
Charles Olsen, Director
Jim Story, Director
Dennis Waltman, Director (absent)
Mike Wilson, Director
I. Called to order at 7:35 p.m.
II. Minutes for meeting held on April 26, 2012.
Motion to accept minutes for the April 26, 2012 BOD meeting as corrected.
Moved by Jim Story, Seconded by Jim Lavis. Passed.
Motion to cover New Business before Reports.
Moved by Jim Story, Seconded by Christian Hanlon. Passed.
III. New Business
A. Revised bylaws amendment to reduce the size of the Board of Directors as submitted by 21 HAL-PC members.
Motion that a committee prepares (makes vote ready) an amendment to the bylaws to reduce the size of the board of directors that meets all of the concerns and petitions of the membership as well as state and applicable laws. This should be ready by the general meeting in January.
Moved by Greg Brewer, Seconded by Jim Story. Passed.
B. Advertising HAL-PC in local papers
Some local papers were brought in (The Leader, North Edition - Paid Ads - Couple of computer ads; Heights Tribune - Paid Ads (most expensive) - No computer ads; Memorial Examiner; Houston Press). We are looking for free PSA type advertising.
John Furby said that Steven Kay (who has his own radio talk show) and Lee Jolly (ex member) could mention HAL-PC on a radio show and do PSA announcements for us. Jim Lavis volunteered to talk to John's radio contacts.
92.1 radio station wants to do a PSA and also want to interview someone from HAL-PC.
Note: DSL advertising cannot be mentioned in a PSA.
C. HAL-PC election status
Online voting has begun. There are 14 open positions with 3 people running. The election mailings have gone out to members. Email addresses were requested in the mailing and are being collected.
D. Property Management Memos
There was no air conditioning for two days. That was a mix up with building management. There are a lot of building changes day to day.
A. President, Annette Story
- One of HAL-PCs employees recommended converting the executive committee meeting room into a dual purpose break room/meeting room.
- OASIS (our personnel company) employee benefits will be figured out soon.
- The election mailing cost was much less than what was approved by the Executive committee. We might be able to cut costs in the future by providing advertising on the website for printing companies.
B. First Vice-President - N/A
C. Vice-President Programs, John Furby
- Donations to HAL-PC: if you purchase items to donate to HAL-PC you can go to the front desk and get a sales tax exemption. HAL-PC gets discounts at some stores (i.e. Directron & Batteries Plus)
- Annual meeting (HAL-PC election) speaker on LinkedIn - Bob Longoria.
D. Vice-President Communications, Christian Hanlon
- Mailing list system set up for sending a bulk email to all of the members. You send to an address and it copies all members.
- Recommended switching to electronic records.
- Internet forums - Christian thinks this is a good idea for creating a community within our membership.
- Still figuring out the DSL service for HAL-PC.
E. Membership Secretary N/A
F. Treasurer, Jerald Linsley - absent
G. Committees: Education and Strategy
1. Strategy Committee topics were discussed in III.B. (advertising).
2. Education Committee
- Charles Olsen has been talking with Bob Longoria about LinkedIn classes. How did people register for classes before? Typically went through member services.
- Talked to Meredith about getting blogs on the website.
IV. Other business - None
V. Adjourned at 9:10 p.m.