HAL-PC Board of Directors
HOUSTON AREA LEAGUE OF PC USERS
Minutes for September 25, 2012
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Houston Area League of PC Users, Inc.
4543 Post Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77027
Christian Hanlon, President
Erika Hanlon, First V.P., Recording Secretary
John Furby, V.P. Programs
Mike Wilson, V.P. Communications
Jerald Linsley, Treasurer
Rick Archibald, Executive Committee
Gail Reaben, Executive Committee
Greg Brewer, Director
Bill Budell, Director (absent)
Will Jameson, Director (absent)
Jim Lavis, Director
John Molson, Director (absent)
Annette Story, Director
Jim Story, Director
Dennis Waltman, Director
I. Call to order at 7:15 p.m.
II. Approval of Minutes for regular BOD meeting held on August 28, 2012
Corrections are required - tabled until next meeting.
III. Executive Committee Activities Report
1. Approval of new SIG - "Building Computer Skills"
2. Approved up to $30 for new capacitors to fix a broken monitor
3. Bulk order of HAL-PC T-shirts from Cafepress to sell in the HAL-PC suite.
- Approved up to $350 for 24 shirts ($14.26 per shirt - includes shipping)
4.Approved a SIG room policy:
The SIG Leader is the ultimate authority over who is in their SIG room and what goes on there.
5. Sale of Rack and/or Coffee Table
- Approved sale of both items. Coffee table sold for $25.
6. Donation hall drop off rules
- No CRTs - list places they can be recycled at
- Provide tags and a sign stating you have to tag items with the date. 30 day limit on items in giveaway hall.
7. Student Volunteer Policy
Students don't have to be members to volunteer on a supervised activity. Students that are not members should be working for some kind of credit from their school
IV. Recognize new SIG "Building Computer Skills".
- SIG Leader Karl Schleicher
- Description: "Whether you are interested in career advancement or just home computing, building computer skills can make you more reliable and productive. This group will use online videos then help each other do a hands on exercise. We will meet on a regular basis to learn beginner+ to intermediate computer skills. Each meeting topic could be a stand alone mini-topic, or part of a course. Example beginner+ topics are "introduction to google docs", "how to edit a wiki", "introduction to blogging" and "how to make a video phone call with skype"."
Approved as an official SIG.
V. Approve a dial-up non-member set up fee of $25.
The current fee is $20
Moved by Rick Archibald, Seconded by Jerald Linsley. Passed.
VI. Lower DSL pricing for one year contract, with early cancellation fee.
Nothing to vote on at this time.
VII. Complimentary DSL for Volunteers Policy
Need a new recommendation before a vote is held.
VIII. Emails to all members
- Frequency of newsletter mailings
Once a month.
IX. Liability Insurance Policies
The only thing currently missing is the financial statements. These will be completed by the deadline.
No new developments.
XI. Other business
XII. Adjourn at 9:11